A hearty cheese soup that incorporates your favorite stout. Perfect for St. Patricks Day!
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 shoots scallion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup stout beer (we used Blue Point Oatmeal Stout)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 cup parsley for garnish
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. ground celery seed
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar
- salt to taste (we used red Hawaiian)
2. Add the flour while stirring until it is well incorporated.
3. Add the salt, stout, water and heavy cream and cook for about 15 more minutes, making sure to stir every so often.
4. Add in the cheddar and spices and cook until the cheese melts into the soup.
5. Put the soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
6. Return to the pot to heat and add additional salt if necessary. If the soup is too thick for your liking, you can also slowly add in more water.
7. Serve and garnish with parsley.